Monday, December 31, 2012

12/24 - 12/30

This was supposed to be a training week. On Monday morning I started feeling the symptoms of what became the worst flu I've ever had. I didn't really eat much and was extremely dehydrated for days. I lost weight, muscle and generally feel emaciated. Because of this illness I did not train for 8 days, the longest I've gone without exercise in years; I can't remember the last time I took this much time off from training. Anyway, I haven't taken a 'de-load' week in a while, so at an attempt at making some positive out of this, this could be considered a de-load week.

The first few days I was antsy/upset about not being in the gym. About day 4 I just stopped caring and wanted to be generally healthy again. Typically I'm a vibrant and energetic person. Having the task of moving from the couch to the bathroom feel daunting to the mind is a terrible feeling when typically  I feel like I can conquer almost any physical task. This whole week has put back into perspective what I love. I wasn't upset about not competing. I was upset about not training and simply being better than I was the day before. This week was a regression in my fitness and health, but it has, in a way, reinvigorated my mind to enjoy training and to enjoy and not take for granted every second that I get in the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment