Sunday, February 16, 2014

2/15/14

Today was a really fun day. It was my first competition since OCS. I did a partner competition with the best female athlete I know. I wasn't nervous for anything, it felt great to just have fun and compete with some of my friends. We got 2nd overall of 30 teams. We would have taken first under traditional crossfit competition rules, but the last event between 1st and 2nd place (there was an existing 20 point disparity between us in first and the second place team) was 'sudden death.' We proceeded to tie the 2nd place team in the sudden death final and then there was another sudden death final consisting of AMRAP 2 minute burpees, we lost that AMRAP by one rep. It was a silly way to end a day and we were clearly the better team considering the placings over the course of all the events. The final burpee event was on the only event that we didn't win or tie for first. Really dumb scoring IMO, but such is life. My goal going into this was to get on the podium, but after taking first in every event before the finals, we obviously wanted to take and should have taken first overall.

Event One (0900):
AMRAP 6 minutes:
1st Minute: 2 thrusters (95#), max reps ab-mat sit-ups
2nd Minute: 4 thrusters (95#), max reps box jumps (24")
3rd Minute: 8 thrusters (95#), max reps Burpees on to a plate
-repeat cycle

-We took first place overall, don't remember the exact reps. I was really happy with my performance on this. I went 100%, it felt great to go way outside my comfort zone.

Event Two + Three (1215)
10:00 Time Cap:
Event Two: Male carries female partner ~100 feet while carrying a 55# KB. When the male finishes the  partner carry the female completes a ~50 foot overhead walking lunge with a 25# plate.

Event Three: When the female finishes event 2, male beings event three.
For time:
5,4,3,2,1 - KB Snatch (R), KB Snatch (L), KBS (55#), ~50 carry with KB (i.e. 5 carries, then 4 four etc)

-We took first in both event two and three. This workout didn't feel like more than a warm-up. It was fun though.

Event Four (1530)
AMRAP 10 (partner's can break up reps however they choose):
5 OHS (135#/95#)
10 Strict Pull-ups
15 Ground-to-Overhead (135#/95#)
20 Pistols
25 HSPU
30 Wall-ball
100 Double-unders
30 Wall-ball
25 HSPU
20 Pistols
15 Ground-to-Overhead (135#/95#)
10 Strict Pull-ups
5 OHS (135#/95#)

-We took first in this event. We got 1 round + 10 Ground-to-overhead. We really broke up this workout intelligently and blew everyone else out of the water. I was proud of myself for actually doing some of the HSPUs and not completely sucking at them! Great workout. It only got tough on the second round where there were 20 strict pull-ups after all work already done. This was the most fun event for me!

Event Five, Six, Seven and Eight (1830)

Event Five:
AMRAP 5 Minutes:
5 Push-Press (95/65#)
5 T2B
5 Sumo-dead-lift-high-pull (95#)

-Tied another team for first on this event.

Rest 3 minutes then...

Event Six:
AMRAP 5 Minutes:
Male Rows 500m (I rowed 1:30, didn't totally tax me).
Female Rows 500m (I don't remember her exact time, but she PRed her 500m!)
-Remaining time:
Male does 3 Clean and Jerk (155#)
Female does 3 Dead-lifts (155#)

-Took first in this workout.

Rest 3 minutes then...

Event Seven (only the first and second place go head-to-head)
5:00 AMRAP:
1 Minute Front Squats 155# (male)
1 Minute Bar Muscle-ups (male)
1 Minute Rest
1 Minute Front Squats 115# (female)
1 Minute Bar Muscle-ups (female)

-This was the 'sudden death' / winner takes all event. We ended up tying exactly for reps. The event director looked confused and just came up with a AMRAP burpee tie breaker. I don't know why she did not just use the standard of who has the most first place finishes. I was proud of myself for PRing my max bar muscle-ups on my minute. I opened with a set of 6 and then got 2. I had only done 5 as a max previously.

Rest 3 minutes then...

2 Minute AMRAP:
1 Minute Burpees (male)
1 Minute Burpees (female)

-We got second place by one rep. I believe the scores were announced as 47 reps vs. 48 reps.

And with that we got 2nd place overall by placing first in every event except one workout which we lost by one rep. Interesting way to determine a victor! My complaints aside, it was an amazing day with great people. I'm really glad we did get on the podium, as that was my goal going into this, but we were better overall and deserved to win. Pumped to get back to training Monday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment