Thursday, February 10, 2011

2/10/2011

AM - The weather was again perfect today. I got out the door a little later, around 10:45 am. I did an easy 26:30 run to a pull-up bar. I then proceeded to do 10 sets of 5 dead-hang pull-ups, with a different grip each set; I ran out of ideas for grips on set 8 and finished the last few sets with a regular width overhand grip. Each set of 5 DHPUs was followed immediately by 5 kipping pull-ups. So it was essentially 100 pull-ups, 50 DH/50 Kipping over 10 sets with 60 seconds rest between sets. I got a little pump from this. I wanted to get in some kipping pull-ups because I hadn't really been doing many lately. I had originally planned to do this workout with 10 push-ups after each set, but I did 10 push-ups after my first set and my chest was slightly in pain. I've still got some DOMS from the workouts I did 6-7 days ago. I'm starting to think more that it's an injury than DOMS because I'm typically never sore this long, so I'm not going to play around with it and give it another few days to rest. After the pull-ups I got an easy 16:30 cool-down run in.

PM - I got in the gym about 5 1/2 hours after my AM run. I wanted to get in a lower body workout, but no 100% efforts trying to PR or anything, just get some activity/throw some weight around / play around with movements I don't usually do. What I proceeded to do was:

Back Squat 10,8,6,4,2 - 135, 225, 245, 265, 285
Trap-bar Dead-lift 10,8,4,2 - 135, 225, 315, 345
Front Racked Barbell Lunges - 3 x 10 @ 135
Smith Machine Calf Raises - 5 x 30 @ 225

Aside from the back squats I never do any of these movements. It was a nice change. I didn't go heavy on the squats for a lot of reasons, mainly because I don't want to tax my body too much this 'off' week. 285 for a double felt extremely easy, which it should have considering the last time I did back squats I did 310 for a triple. Anyway the trap-bar dead lifts were awesome and gave me a huge pump, I wish my gym had a trap-bar to use. The lunges were great, I haven't done them in a while. The calf raises gave my calves a huge pump, I'd like to start reincorporating these into my training, I used to do them all the time. Anyway, it was a great session and I wasn't impossibly sore the next day; which is exactly what I was going for.

No comments:

Post a Comment