Friday, November 4, 2011

11/4/11

Today was the first day of the 2011 Taranis Winter Challenge. I arrived in Canada today around noon, first workout was at 6 pm. I'm still sore from Tuesdays squats, but it didn't really matter today. The workout was:

On a 7 minute clock:

In one attempt on the wall, max strict HPSU
1 RM Power Snatch
In one attempt on the wall, max strict HPSU

For this workout there were two scores, 1 for the snatch and 1 for the total of the two sets of HSPU. Off of these two scores the athletes are put into heats. I won't know how I stacked up to everyone until tomorrow.

I got 9 HPSU, 175 lb on the PS, then 9 more HSPU. I got 185 overhead, but had a little bit of a press-out and got a no-rep. But I would have counted it in a training session; this technically being a 10 lb PR.

I was relatively happy with my performance. Strict HSPU are no-joke and are my biggest weakness as an athlete. I'm aware of this and I found it a little ironic they were up first in the event. I guess it's good they are out the way.

While I was warming up I was sharing a bar with Lucas Parker and exchanged a few words. This is a fairly surreal experience for me; to be next to such an exceptional athlete who you will soon be competing against is a strange feeling. Knowing how far I've come it's great to be here. A year ago I wouldn't have gotten 1 HPSU and I couldn't power snatch more than 95 lbs; not to mention my younger/fatter days.

Tomorrow is a 5k run at 0800. This goes back to my roots, to my old cross country days. I'm definitely not going to PR. I'm just hoping I run under 22 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment