Saturday, March 3, 2012

3/3/12

Today was a rough day.

12.2
On a 10 minute clock:
30 Snatch @ 75#
30 Snatch @ 135#
30 Snatch @ 165#
Max Reps Snatch @ 210#

I scored 68 reps. I got 1 no rep from my judge and I missed 5-6 reps on my own, either getting in the hole and losing it forwards or backwards.

For the 75# I went 15/15 with a short break (5 seconds). For the 135# I methodically and consistently went through the reps like a quiet and calm professional. I went with sets of 5, with a short 5-10 second break in between each set. I was really happy about this, it was my plan. By the time I got 165# on the bar I had 4:30 left. I was extremely happy about this, this is exactly what I planned in my head. At this instance, everything changed. I went from a quiet professional to a panicking idiot.

After this humbling experience, I realized I've only snatched more than 155 probably 5 times in my life. During last year's open, my max snatch was 135#. So this puts thing into perspective a lot. I've improved a ton since last year, but I was looking to do a lot better on this WOD. My goal was 80. If I wouldn't have missed reps I would have been in the 75-76 range. On a positive note, I gave it everything I had. I rarely ever miss reps, if I was missing reps, I was going balls out. I stuck to the plan and got to 165# at the correct time. The straight truth is that I just don't have the strength to rep 165 in a metcon. I've been doing a ton of metcons with lighter/moderate loads and this just straight up whipped my ass. I'm definitely in the best shape of my life. I'm stronger, leaner and more conditioned than ever, but still got my ass handed to me. This hasn't happened in a while, a long while. It is definitely part of the sport though. With the current training I've programmed myself I focused on a lot on unbroken sets at high intensity. This is basically the opposite of this workout. My way of training/programming really pays off with light/moderate loads, but it didn't work at all for 165#. I was missing reps left and right. I wasn't taking enough breaks. I was just forcing myself back to the bar because that's how to win light/moderate events. I can't believe I got 8 reps (got the bar locked out overhead 9 times, one of them I was told I didn't reset my feet enough) in 4:30. That's just shitty. If I want to compete at regionals I need to be better than that. I need to be able to stay calm with 165# and not miss reps, but that just didn't happen. This is the first time I've felt 'weak' in a long time. I've got a lot of work to do until I am a good athlete. I love the condition I'm in, but in the broader picture of my fitness, I need to continue getting stronger. I feel more fit/conditioned/better metcon than ever, but I need to take some time after this season and get back to the basics. Quality strength training, four sessions a week and some GPP afterwards.

I was happy with my 71st place finish in 12.1, but today I am discouraged. Such a hard pill to swallow; I'm not that great. A six pack doesn't make snatching a heavy load any easier. Who knows, maybe I'll hit it again tomorrow depending on how I feel. What else? Humility is good. I'm excited to continue training, I just feel like I got my ass kicked. But part of being better is rolling with the punches and I intend to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment