Friday, May 25, 2012

5/25/12

Today was the first day of my first regional competition. I must say, it was a pretty exciting environment. Warming up with some games athletes and other athletes of similar caliber was intimidating. I've put in a ton of work to get where I am. I've got a long way to go and I'm already excited for next year.

Event 1
'Diane'
21-15-9
Dead-lift (225#)
HSPU

-This was a rough experience. I definitely had the feeling like 'I'm that guy.' (being the one who qualified for regionals but is awful at HSPU). If there were HPSU in the 2012 Open I would not have qualified; straight up. I'm aware of this and there is a huge possibility that HSPU will be in next year's Open. They are my number one concern for this training year. My set of 21 was 6-5-5-5 and went quickly. I got 3 right out the gate on the set of 15 and then things went south. I was doing doubles and singles and getting a lot of no reps (not that this is an excuse at all for my placing in the WOD) about my hands slipping out of the space. I should have been more careful to begin with and placed my hands closer in, sweaty hands slip. If I didn't get the 6 or so no reps I could have got through my set of 9 dead-lifts. It wouldn't have mattered points wise, I would still have been in last place. So overall I was unhappy I didn't finish within the time cap, but when it comes down to it I did the best I could. I didn't get last place without fighting for every damn HSPU in that workout. What else could I do? So I might sound like the most positive person in the world, but I'm happy with my performance. I was the most nervous I've probably ever been in my life and I went out and went as hard as I could. I've got my work cut out for me... I need a sub 5 minute Diane in the next year. That's my number one priority. A year ago I couldn't do an RxD HSPU. The first year two years I did crossfit I couldn't even kick up into a handstand because my shoulders and/or elbows would give out while bearing my body weight in a lockout. Finishing in last, the other athletes that all finished came and cheered me on. There is nothing like words of encouragement from your fellow competitors to bust out a few more reps. To be out here with some amazing athletes going hard is a wonderful experience. I love crossfit.

Event 2
For time:
2000m Row
50 Pistols
30 Hang Cleans (225#)

This is an insanely awesome workout. I was excited. In the bull-pen with my judge my heart rate was literally elevated. I was making small talk with my judge and the athletes around me just to calm the hell down. Walking out to the rower... the spectators, the cameras, the noise, the lights, it's just like wow, I'm so happy to be here and do my thing. I didn't row the 2k nearly as fast as I had practiced, I rowed about a 7:30. This was 30 seconds slower than I originally planned, but I changed the plan because I didn't want to be too gassed out for the cleans. This workout isn't about the row or the pistols, it's all about the strength of the hang clean. I knew this and paced the row and pistols accordingly to save some steam for the hang cleans. Once I got to that bar I took a solid break, let my heart rate slow and then I banged out 4 reps the first set, then 3 and then a lot of 2s and some sets of 3s mixed in. I ended up with 24 cleans. I thought I had 25 on the judges sheet when I signed it, but whatever, either way this was more than when I practiced (17 reps that were all done as singles). I was ecstatic with this performance. Last year when I left my previous gym (May 2011) my 1 Rep Max Squat Clean (not from the hang) was 215#. To be linking 225# hang power cleans out here in a regional competition a year later makes anything feel possible. Just put in hard work and it will come. I love crossfit. I love the challenge. I love stepping up and attempting what seems impossible. I really surprised myself today.


-Primary goals of the next year:
1) sub 5 'Diane'
2) Bodyweight Strict Press
3) 300# Bench press
4) Make it to the final cut of the 2013 regional.

-Lessons learned today: 
- Watch my heat times more closely during competition. This is crossfit and things change on the fly. I warmed up 30 minutes early for the second event because unbeknownst to me the heats changed. I don't know how this affected my performance, but that was 30 minutes more I could have been resting.
-Get a coach. I will never compete at this level again without a coach focused solely on my performance. I get inside my head when warming up with great athletes that I have insane respect for. There are things I can compete with them on and there are things that they can just destroy me on. It gets to me, especially when I have no one but myself to ponder the next workout with. I want a coach that understands me, knows my strengths and weaknesses and how I move and do work. It is how I will take things to another level. Even in 2013 if it's simply a training partner that is a mutual coach/someone to bounce ideas off of; I just need someone there.
-There is a difference between wanting to win and just wanting to survive. In both workouts today I was just surviving. In the future I want to be prepared enough to go in to win, not just survive. 
-Nothing is impossible. A few years ago I was just some fat kid. Today I'm doing things I didn't know were possible. Today has really made me want to step up my game for next year. Today has made me shred every ounce of self-doubt I've had (believe me there's been a lot). My abilities/skill/strength may not be where they need to be. But they are better than they ever have been and they will keep getting better.
-Never back down from a challenge and never hesitate. If you ever exhibit self-doubt or hesitation you will never know what you are truly capable of accomplishing. 


I LOVE THIS SPORT.



No comments:

Post a Comment