Monday, March 10, 2014

3/10/14

Today is a day I will probably remember for the rest of my life. I can't believe I didn't get into the round of 16 on 14.2. It was not for a lack of effort. There was absolutely nothing I could have done differently. I didn't butterfly at all this time through and I got all the OHS unbroken. I had :50 left on the clock to get 14 pull-ups and I only got 11. I was doing singles as fast as I could, my hands just couldn't stay on that bar. Embarrassing performance. I'm calling it now, I will have the biggest point disparity between 14.1 and 14.2, probably world wide, for people who actually put 100% effort into the workouts. (Meaning, not counting the people who posted a decent score for 14.1 and then 1 rep for 14.2 or vice versa).

I knew I was bad at gymnastics stuff, but I didn't realize I was this bad. I'm glad today exposed this, it's a bit of a wake up call. All the huge PRs I've set this year (some of my best include a 315# x 20 RM back squat, 490# x 1 RM dead-lift, 225# x 1 RM snatch) don't even matter if I cant' do C2B pull-ups better than average joe.

In 2011-12 I was much better at pull-ups. When I injured my elbow in August 2012, I stopped doing kipping pull-ups in training for about 6 months due to injury. This showed in the 2013 Open, I performed very poorly on 13.5. Then in May 2013 I went to OCS, didn't train kipping pull-ups at all the entire summer. I got back to crossfit in September and I just haven't gotten "good" at kipping C2B pull-ups again.

Yeah I had extreme DOMs, yeah I had a horrible tear that tore more. It doesn't matter, everyone faces adversity and those are just excuses that I refuse to rely on. The reality of the situation is that I'm just not that good at C2B pull-ups right now. I'm 24 years old and have a lot of time to improve this movement. I'll be back.

Crossfit is constantly humbling and humility is good. My season is over. Excited to get back to doing what I love, training.

Score from Friday: 135
Score from Monday: 141

No comments:

Post a Comment