Monday, November 22, 2010

11/20/2010

I was going to do Olympic Lifting today; the workout was already planned. I was fully recovered in my entire body aside from my groin muscles that were still tight from the squats on Tuesday. As I was going through a thorough warm up I pulled my left hamstring/groin muscle while doing wall-balls while in the full depth of a squat. This was extremely frustrating; I can't remember the last time I was this sore, but I figured I could still train through it. I had never lifted such heavy weight for such volume and it caught up with me. I'm always the person that attempts to push my workouts a little much; sometimes to my downfall. I was extremely pissed I couldn't do the Olympic lifting; or anything involving my legs for that matter. Here is a quote I wrote in the summer of 2009 when I pulled my hamstring; it left me out of the gym for 4-5 weeks:

"Planning is essential to success. Adversity strains individual plans. The deconstruction of these plans promotes negative attitudes. Reconstruction of plans under adversity to stay consistent with individual goals is a vital, if not the most vital, element of a training plan I’ve encountered. Adversity creates an environment where a change must take place. This change may vary in degree, but a change happens nonetheless. When an individual has been consistently working toward a goal, an adverse challenge can create intense emotional stress on the individual. Considering these feelings of frustration, depression, loss of self-worth etc all because of inability to train consistent with the implemented plan, what makes an athlete successful is his ability to continue to stay consistent with his goals despite adversity and the stressful situations and environments adversity creates and promotes. Thus change of a program, rest, diet etc can all be successfully altered to stay consistent with a goal, despite adversity, injury etc. It is adhering to your goals, no matter the stress or strain, that creates character and successful people."

To say the least, being out of the gym for 4-5 weeks left me extremely stressed/depressed/unhappy. I ended up writing this paragraph out as a response to those feelings. I really hope this injury does not keep me from training my legs for very long. But nonetheless I will adapt and work whatever I can around this injury.

Considering I could barely move my left leg I decided to at least get some kind of upper body workout in today. The workout I made up was:

Press 3 x 5 @ 135

Dead Hang Pull-ups and Ring Dips: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (on the minute every minute) followed immediately by:

Kipping Pull-ups and Bar Dips: 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 (for time)

After about 5 minutes rest:

50,40,30,20,10 Push-ups with ~60 seconds rest between sets.

This workout ended up being a nice challenge. I got a nice pump, the pull-ups felt extremely easy.

Overall a frustrating day, I really hate being injured.

Meal 1 - Whey (27g), Flax (12g), 1 Banana

Meal 2 - Whey (27g), 1 Plumb, 1 Slice Whole Wheat Bread , 1 tbsp Peanut Butter, 1 cup Milk

Meal 3 - 3 Chicken Sausages, 7 Olives

Meal 4 - 3 Chicken Sausages, 1 tbsp Peanut Butter, 1 Banana, 1 cup Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment